Using Postman with Carta's API
How to use Postman to access Carta's API
This guide explains how to access Carta's APIs using Postman. We show you how to configure Postman with the clientID and clientSecret we gave you during the registration process, generate an access token, authorize access, submit a request for Issuers, and see our response.
If you want Postman to automatically generate an
access_token using the OAuth authorization flow, see this Postman OAuth documentation.
How to setup Postman
- Download the Postman app from https://www.postman.com/ and our preconfigured carta-api-platform.postman-collection.json file.
- Add https://oauth.pstmn.io/v1/callback as a callback URL for your playground application.
Using the Collection
- Run Postman and click the Import button:
- From the File tab, click Upload Files:
- Select the carta-api-platform.postman-collection.json file you downloaded and click Open:
- Confirm that the NAME field shows "Carta APIs" and click Import:
- You will now see a "Carta APIs" entry in Postman's Collection section:
Note: This collection's endpoints point to our playground environment by default. If you would prefer to send requests to our mock environment, you can specify this by clicking the Variables tab and changing the
CURRENT VALUE of the
baseURL variable to
https://mock-api.carta.com/. Authorization is not needed for the mock environment, so if you are sending requests to this environment, skip ahead to step 10.
- Click on Carta APIs, click the Authorization tab, scroll to the bottom, ensure that
Authorize using browseris selected, and fill in the fields as follows:
Grant Type: The OAuth grant type your playground app is using
Auth URL: https://login.playground.carta.team/o/authorize/
Access Token URL: https://login.playground.carta.team/o/access_token/
Client ID: The
clientIDfor your playground app
Client Secret: The
clientSecretfor your playground app
Scope: A space delimited list of scopes granted to your app
Then, click the
Get New Access Token button.
- A browser window will open to Carta's login page.
a. Choose a playground persona based on your use case.
b. Your browser will go directly to Carta's OAuth "Authorize Account Access" page.
c. Select one or more resources you want to access.
d. Click Authorize.
- Your browser will redirect you back to Postman, and Postman will confirm that authentication is complete. Make sure that https://oauth.pstmn.io/v1/callback is one of the redirect URLs that you registered for your application.
- Postman generates an
access tokenusing the
tokenendpoint. Click the Use Token button to update your configuration.
- For any endpoint you would like to send a request to, click the Authorization tab and change the Type to
Inherit auth from parent.
API base URL needs updating
Please update the API base URL to https://api.playground.carta.team/
- Optionally, you can specify query parameters to send with your request. Click the Params tab, select the desired entry under and fill in the value.
- Click Send. Postman will submit the request and you will see our response in Postman's Body section:
Updated 3 days ago